Declaration of Trust
In 1970, the founders of the Orleans Conservation Trust (OCT or the Trust) adopted a “Declaration of Trust” (DOT) that is OCT’s governing document and has served the organization well for decades. The DOT was last amended, in 2021 to accommodate OCT's expanded operations and conservation holdings. In 2021, OCT also adopted its first set of Bylaws, which accompany the DOT and provide more specifics on organizational operations.
OCT’s last five-year strategic plan was completed in 2016. In early 2022 a small task force was established to update the plan. A series of in-depth interviews were conducted with a broad range of constituents, including, donors/members, town officials, peer organizations (Mass Audubon, Orleans Conservation Commission, Compact of Cape Cod Conservation Trusts, etc.), current and former trustees, and OCT staff. A summary of those interviews was organized into Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats (SWOT). Staff and trustees conducted two off-site meetings with an outside facilitator to develop the new strategic plan, and the final 2023 – 2027 Strategic Plan was approved by the Board of Trustees on May 24, 2022. Importantly, the Trust also updated our mission statement to better communicate our work.
Policies and Procedures
Additional documents, listed below, provide further guidelines by which the Trust operates.
- Cash Receipts Policy
- Compensation Policy
- Conflict of Interest Policy
- Conservation Restriction Amendment Policy
- Delegation of Authority Policy
- Document Destruction Policy
- Dog Policy
- Hunting Policy
- Investment Policy
- Land Transaction Policy
- Memorial Bench, Rock, and Tree Policy
- Public Access Policy and Procedures
- Retirement, Resignation, Removal, and Replacement of Trustees Policy
- Vista and Vegetation Policy and Procedures
- Whistleblower Policy
Committee charters outline the purpose, authority, and responsibilities of each of OCT's standing committees.
- Communications Committee Charter
- Finance and Investment Committee Charter
- Fundraising Committee Charter
- Governance Committee Charter
- Land Acquisition Committee Charter
- Land Management Committee Charter
- Nominating Committee Charter
- Personnel Committee Charter